Tips for talking to someone who is sad…
1 ) Just listen.
2) Do not say it will be okay. Instead listen for their worries and develop a plan that would minimize or eliminate them.
3) Never ever ever ever ever say that the issue they’re worry about is not that big of a deal.
4) Take them and do something they love (tv show, movie, walks, eat).
5) Never leave in the middle of their rant.
6) If you are confused ask questions. This usually helps them understand their issue better or helps clear their head.
7) Verbally let them know that you are there for them.
8) Point out their best qualities. Sometimes people just need to be reminded.